While moisturizing your skin regularly is important for anyone, it's even more important for those suffering from psoriasis, except you should be moisturizing at least every two hours if that's the case. The reason for this is that moisturizing helps reduce redness and itching since the skin won't be so dry. Here's five tips to help you find the right moisturizer:
- Pick One You're Excited to Use: People often don't moisturize as often as they should because they are not excited about it. This is why it's important to find a moisturizer that you are excited about. This might mean picking out a few different bottles until you find one that feels so good on your skin that you never want to stop using it.
- Avoid Additivies: You want to avoid picking up bottles of moisturizers that have certain additives that can actually do more harm than good for your skin. This includes things such as dyes and fragrances. It's much better to have a clear lotion that has no fragrance. If you do want fragrance, use other things, such as body spray that isn't directly placed on your skin.
- Look at Stamps of Approvals: Another thing to look at on the bottle itself is the stamp of approval. This means it's something that has been tested by professionals and approved. There are many drug store moisturizers that have this that are much cheaper than over-the-counter brands or prescriptions.
- Consider Ointment: Instead of a lotion or cream, you might want to consider an ointment for your moisturizer. This is because ointments are thick and work to prevent the most water loss of the skin as possible. While these are going to be greasy, you only need to use a little bit at a time and your hands should stay well hydrated for the max two hours that you will need it for.
- Visit Your Doctor: Finally, if you are having a difficult time finding the right moisturizer, the next step would be to talk with your doctor. Your doctor will go over your daily habits, skin type and more and provide a recommendation that you may not have thought of before. This might just be the best way to narrow down your search for the right moisturizer.
When you consider these five tips, finding the right moisturizer for your skin is going to be made much easier for yourself when dealing with psoriasis.